I really wish we still had honest to goodness variety shows like they did in the fifties, sixties, and seventies. By variety show, I mean the kind with skits, musical numbers, and a jovial yet nonthreatening host. Having recently watched Andy Williams: Best of Christmas, a DVD that shows a compilation of some of the highlights of his annual Christmas specials, I have come to wish for these simpler times. I was taken aback by the complete lack of cynicism that Andy Williams and his family had when producing these specials. They just wanted to put on a great family friendly show that would be the highlight of the Christmas viewing schedule in years gone-by. It is also clear that the Andy Williams crew spared no expense when producing these shows. The costumes and sets are amazing for a show that in those days would only ever be shown on television once or twice.
To modern eyes something like the Andy Williams show may seems like something incredibly quaint and geeky (it seems like the Osmonds were perpetual guests), but I urge people to seek out some of the clips on YouTube. You can have a laugh about the goofy clothes they wear and enjoy some warm Christmas television like our parents used to enjoy. Here's a sampling...

No comments:
Post a Comment